Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: Favorite fantasy author...

Page 10 of 10 :

27 JAN 2012 at 11:22am

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Not sure if I can count him as a favorite yet, but Brandon Sanderson has caught my eye as of late. 

However, it's not -- as one might surmise -- for his finishing out Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series (in fact, I've not yet even read any of the novels since Jordan died).  Instead, it's due to the books making up his "Mistborn" trilogy that he has leapt onto my radar. 

The entire trilogy is a deconstruction of many fantasy tropes, yet ultimately manages to play the fantasy story straight as well.  The pacing is uneven, and the characters feel curiously flat at times; but the overal storyline is solid, and the grand conclusion at the end of the third book is both epic and absolutely brilliant.  I so very much want to say more about the Mistborn novels, but it's very difficult to do so without dropping massive spoilers! 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search

28 JAN 2012 at 12:27pm

DCosta

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By stophro (26 JAN 2012 6:55pm)

DCosta, I love Tolkien for the same reasons as you and was led to others (as well as D&D) by Tolkien and LOTR.  One of the writers I discovered and liked, for different reasons, was Moorcock.  Suffice it to say, when I found out that Moorcock wrote an essay bashing Tolkien, I was appalled!  I read the essay, found here http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953 , and see where he was coming from.  I don't agree with him, but, I understand what he was trying to say.

I haven't read the articke as it will probably annoy me. Moorcock expands fantasty beyond the Tolkien world which happens very rarely, most fantasy books are grounded in Tolkien. Ones that try and break free for me rarely work, all except Moorcock. I need to read more of his actaully. I fanyc getting Count Brass. Again Hawkmoon (Hawkwind the band had Moorcock as a writer hence Master of the Universe was hawkmoon) and Von Bek are excellent and I struggle to think which is the ebst out ofthose two.

Can you recommend a favourite Moorcock title?

Profile Search
20 MAY 2012 at 8:22pm

Steelgrave

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By cicerno (13 DEC 2010 3:03pm)
I think I mentioned it a while back but I don't feel like going back to look, The Blade Itself trilogy by Jeff Abercrombie is excellent.

I took a chance and ordered the first book, then ordered the second and third before I finished the first, then read all three books in a space of maybe two weeks, then picked up the stand-alone paperback and have another on order..........Simply outstanding!

Since I first read "Game of Thrones", I have counted it to be my favorite fantasy series, but I have to rate "The Blade Itself" and the two books following as a virtual tie, and in terms of sheer enjoyment, Abercrombie wins running away. Thanks for the recommendation.

"When in danger, or in doubt.....run in circles, scream and shout!!!", author Herman Wouk.

Profile Search
24 MAY 2012 at 3:12pm

cicerno

Centurion
Centurion

I know. I'm hoping more people check him out. He is a delight to read.

Is The Heroes the one you ordered? If so, you are in for a treat. It is a tightly written masterpiece. 

Originally Posted By Steelgrave (20 MAY 2012 8:22pm)

I think I mentioned it a while back but I don't feel like going back to look, The Blade Itself trilogy by Jeff Abercrombie is excellent.

I took a chance and ordered the first book, then ordered the second and third before I finished the first, then read all three books in a space of maybe two weeks, then picked up the stand-alone paperback and have another on order..........Simply outstanding!

Since I first read "Game of Thrones", I have counted it to be my favorite fantasy series, but I have to rate "The Blade Itself" and the two books following as a virtual tie, and in terms of sheer enjoyment, Abercrombie wins running away. Thanks for the recommendation.

Here's the plan. We get the warhead and we hold the world ransom for... ONE MILLION DOLLARS! 

Profile Search
12 JUL 2012 at 8:33pm

JPFalcon

Centurion
Centurion

I'm into the fourth book of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire...I found the first three books a fantastic read, but halfway through book 4 I'm finding it a bit tedious as it seems that the series is hitting a wall as it shifts the major players around (I cannot stand the Samwell character or his story)....I hope this does not turn into a Jordan type snorefest and that I will get the same pleasure in the last half of book 4 as I did with the first three books....

EDIT: Well I just finished this book and to quote Jay Sherman, "It Stinks!"..............

Last edited by JPFalcon : 16 JUL 2012 12:39pm
Profile Search
13 JUL 2012 at 3:32am

meadbelly

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By cicerno (24 MAY 2012 3:12pm)

I know. I'm hoping more people check him out. He is a delight to read.

Is The Heroes the one you ordered? If so, you are in for a treat. It is a tightly written masterpiece. 

Originally Posted By Steelgrave (20 MAY 2012 8:22pm)

I need to get addicted to another author like Deus Ex: HR needs a "rockin' the casbah" mission, but hot damn this is some serious recommendations here. I'm going to hunt down The Blade Itself or The Heroes. 

Profile Search
2 AUG 2012 at 8:26pm

JPFalcon

Centurion
Centurion

Here's a humorous video concerning Martin's Song of Ice and Fire...It's much more entertaining than the last two books of this now insipid series.....

Profile Search
3 AUG 2012 at 5:17pm

Ardito

Centurion
Centurion

Dan Simmons

Semper Fi

Former serving US Marine.  Author of four books on Japanese and Italian Weaponry, Uniforms, Equipment and Ephemera of WWII.

Profile Search
8 JAN 2013 at 8:26pm

JPFalcon

Centurion
Centurion

Well the last book in the Robert Jordan's  WHEEL OF TIME series will finally be released this week. I'm going to first reread the last two Jordan/Sanderson books before hand in order to  refresh my memory. It has at times been a very frustrating experience maintaining interest in this series, so let us hope for a worthwhile conclusion.

Profile Search
8 JAN 2013 at 11:49pm

Martok

Colonel
Colonel

Originally Posted By JPFalcon (8 JAN 2013 8:26pm)

Well the last book in the Robert Jordan's  WHEEL OF TIME series will finally be released this week. I'm going to first reread the last two Jordan/Sanderson books before hand in order to  refresh my memory. It has at times been a very frustrating experience maintaining interest in this series, so let us hope for a worthwhile conclusion.

Worthwhile or not, I'll be reading it.  I've been waiting 15 years for this series to finally be concluded; gotta see it to the end now. 

"I happen to believe that both parties deserve a good scouring with a metal brush and sent to their room without reelection" - Steelgrave

The Old Guard

Profile Search
23 JAN 2013 at 6:19pm

stophro

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By JPFalcon (12 JUL 2012 8:33pm)

I'm into the fourth book of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire...I found the first three books a fantastic read, but halfway through book 4 I'm finding it a bit tedious as it seems that the series is hitting a wall as it shifts the major players around (I cannot stand the Samwell character or his story)....I hope this does not turn into a Jordan type snorefest and that I will get the same pleasure in the last half of book 4 as I did with the first three books....

EDIT: Well I just finished this book and to quote Jay Sherman, "It Stinks!"..............

Feast For Crows I thought was good.  Dance With Dragons was just miserable in my opinion.  I thought the original count for the series was seven books.  Not sure if that still holds, but, if so, then the last one is coming.  Kind of like winter...

Profile Search

23 MAR 2015 at 9:16pm

todayagang

Centurion
Centurion

Another vote for Tolkien. To be honest I just have not gotten into any other authors after reading JRR's work.         These are some really good suggestions, though, for expanding my world.         A great thread.

Profile Search
16 OCT 2015 at 3:54pm

Dion

Centurion
Centurion

I like J.R.R. Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings best too. As far as I'm concerned he's the Grandfather of Fantasy. I would like to mention Robert E. Howard's Conan too. The Conan stories don't have as much depth as Lord of the Rings, but the stories are only a fraction as long too. Great descriptions of the supernateral. More realistic, darker, scarier. Just creepier. Though, Tolkein gives more attention to ... just about everything else.

Wargaming: The art of fighting without fighting.

Profile Search

Page 10 of 10 :

Jump to:
1 Members Subscribed To This Topic