Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: STEAM - What it means on a machine

Page 1

All Forums : [HOBBIES, INTERESTS & TECHNOLOGY] : Computer Tech Talk > STEAM - What it means on a machine
30 OCT 2012 at 9:25pm

solops

Centurion
Centurion

I have never put Steam on a PC for several reasons. First, I like doing updates myself so that I know exactly what has been done to my games and I have a copy of the update in case I need to re-install. Second, I see Steam as a security risk. I do financial work on my PC and I do NOT like the idea of uncontrolled third-party software poking around in my or others' financial records. And, there are some other concerns. So, my question - what can and does Steam do on a PC other than update games? How much poking around does it do, and what rights have I given Steam when I install their software? So far, there are no games on Steam that I cannot live without, but I'd like to know more about my options. Thank heaven for Matrix and some other publishers who still provide independent sourcing for purchases and updates. There are several games I WOULD have bought, if they had been available without Steam.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. - Judge Learned Hand

Last edited by solops : 31 OCT 2012 9:53am
Profile Search

1 NOV 2012 at 6:18am

ghostryder

Colonel
Colonel

I've written a lot on this. The main concern is security-and it is not limited to Steam. ANY PROGRAM that pings the web for auto updates is leaving a hole for a hacker to enter. One of the worse virus's I've ever seen-and I covered virus's at Microsoft for years-was when one got in on an adobe pdf auto update- I no longer read pdf files using adobe and generally do not let any programs ping the internet for updates.

Other than that the steam exe wrap can mess with the game it's wrapping. I once did a long researched post listing the many virus's and broken games in this regard a few years ago. This is outside the many, "my account has been hacked' that is most common.

Yet i use Steam--as it's just the biggest game in town and you must use it to play certain games- other than warez'ing them- which brings in it's own nightmares. 

I perfer GG or GOG- the service should just take orders and let you download and not do all that other stuff. It's auto update patches has almost made modding a fool's errand- 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
1 NOV 2012 at 7:47am

solops

Centurion
Centurion

So the only rational thing to do is to have a machine devoted only to gaming, keeping all e-mail and financial activity confined to a separate computer....expensive but more secure.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it. - Judge Learned Hand

Profile Search
2 NOV 2012 at 11:44pm

ghostryder

Colonel
Colonel

Baring that the best course of action is to keep up with what Anti-virus program is rated the best-as this changes from year to year.  And be prepared to change brands as needed. What was concidered tops one year might let a mayraid of bad things in the next. This year i'm using NOD32EST- and it's performing well. 

The Old Guard

Profile Search
23 APR 2015 at 3:02am

saaleha

Centurion
Centurion

My son's PC recently started going disastarously slow, and I tried all the usual fixes (malware-virus scan/clean/defrag/update drivers/clean 

e six sigma

regsitry etc etc etc....) even reinstalling XP - all to no effect. I decided the hard drive was on its way out so I took out drive C - the original broken drive, and installed XP onto his 2nd drive - drive D. I put drive "D" in drive "C"'s old slot hoping it would boot from this location, which it did.

Last edited by saaleha : 23 APR 2015 3:02am
Profile Search
All Forums : [HOBBIES, INTERESTS & TECHNOLOGY] : Computer Tech Talk > STEAM - What it means on a machine

Page 1

Jump to:
1 Members Subscribed To This Topic