Wargamer Home - Forum Home
Welcome Guest, please Login or Register!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register or login before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Topic: WEGO WWII North African Game

Page 1 of 13 :

2 NOV 2012 at 3:16pm

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Hi,

In my spare time, I'm working a WEGO (as opposed to IGOUGO) wargame set in North Africa WWII.

Here's a link:

http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/

While the game is playable as is, and has an Scenario Editor/Creator and an AI, it's still missing a lot of

features I'd like to add (proper supply being number 1)...

Anyway, if anyone likes this sort of game, have a go and tell me what you think

(especially about the user interface as I've attempted to make a very accessible/intuitive interface...

nothing I hate more than a confusing interface)...

Thanks...

Profile Search

2 NOV 2012 at 4:18pm

DBeves

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (2 NOV 2012 3:16pm)

Hi,

In my spare time, I'm working a WEGO (as opposed to IGOUGO) wargame set in North Africa WWII.

Here's a link:

While the game is playable as is, and has an Scenario Editor/Creator and an AI, it's still missing a lot of

(especially about the user interface as I've attempted to make a very accessible/intuitive interface...

Thanks...

Thats is very nice . You should really stick at it. Impressive effort. I will follow this.

Profile Search
5 NOV 2012 at 7:47am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Cheers, DBeves...good you could see beyond my "graphics"!

Profile Search
5 NOV 2012 at 8:14am

DBeves

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (5 NOV 2012 7:47am)

Cheers, DBeves...good you could see beyond my "graphics"!

what language are you developing in ?

Profile Search
5 NOV 2012 at 8:35am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Java...My day job is Java (for telecoms) so I decided to try doing a wargame...

Profile Search
5 NOV 2012 at 11:58am

Marvin Gardens

Centurion
Centurion

I would also prefer WEGO over IGOUGO. I sure wish we had more of those type of wargames on the market in an operational scale.

Profile Search
5 NOV 2012 at 12:17pm

TomTSims

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (2 NOV 2012 3:16pm)

Hi,

Here's a link:

Thanks...

Thanks for the hard work - loved Stalingrad etc. they all had a "sophistication with simplicity" - dowloading your game now....

"Politicians are like diapers - they need changing for the same reason"

Profile Search
6 NOV 2012 at 8:50am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

I don't know why more games aren't WEGO.

Those Stalingrad/Crusader games were released 20 years (?) ago and they're still good...

though they did have money behind them. The manual is nicely printed and in colour.

Great game, though pity they don't have an editor...

Profile Search
6 NOV 2012 at 12:55pm

destraex

Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I agree. Lack of WEGO is what is stopping me from really getting immersed into a lot of operational and strategic war games.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games

The Old Guard

Profile Search
6 NOV 2012 at 2:21pm

DBeves

Commander
Commander

Originally Posted By destraex (6 NOV 2012 12:55pm)

I agree. Lack of WEGO is what is stopping me from really getting immersed into a lot of operational and strategic war games.

Well - yes I like the concept of wego - the one big challenge for me though - say in the stalingrad game - is keeping situational awareness of where your units will end up.

the second thing is that there is no "reaction" from the enemy - I know thats the same to a certain extent in turn based but its more pronounced in wego.

Profile Search
7 NOV 2012 at 4:15pm

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Yeah, e.g. there's 7 different desert pics in image/terrain -> DesertPlain_0 etc...so you can change them or add more, just increase the number _8 or whatever. In the editor, press desert button and then click on a desert on the map and it'll loop through all available ones in  image/terrain ...if you add new ones you need to restart the game though...

Or you can add extra road pics or unit pictures etc whatever with an extra "xxxx_2" ...

The other thing about the pics is that they can be PNGs or JPGs or GIFs etc...anything really but BMPs...

Tell me what you think and anything that's not working, hard to do (like e.g. selecting a stack with right-click doesn't appear to work properly all the time)...

Cheers...

Profile Search

8 NOV 2012 at 10:33am

bcgames

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (7 NOV 2012 4:15pm)

...there's 7 different desert pics in image/terrain -> DesertPlain_0 etc...so you can change them or add more, just increase the number _8 or whatever. In the editor, press desert button and then click on a desert on the map and it'll loop through all available ones in  image/terrain ...if you add new ones you need to restart the game though...

Or you can add extra road pics or unit pictures etc whatever with an extra "xxxx_2" ...

The other thing about the pics is that they can be PNGs or JPGs or GIFs etc...anything really but BMPs...

Ah!  Thanks for the additional info. 

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (7 NOV 2012 4:15pm)

Tell me what you think and anything that's not working, hard to do (like e.g. selecting a stack with right-click doesn't appear to work properly all the time)...

I will.  I finished reading the game manual last night and intend to mess with the system today.  I'm interested to see how the WEGO works. 

Profile Search
23 NOV 2012 at 4:09am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Good Stuff.

I've just added artillery so will try and put in most of your suggestions next.

Then I'll do a Regiment Level Scenario (around 40 units per side)...

If you've any more good ideas, fire ahead! Thanks!

Profile Search
24 NOV 2012 at 9:22am

Philippe

Commander
Commander

Very nice units.  Preferences differ, but I think I would prefer to see the actual flag of the Kingdom of Italy behind the Italian units rather than the modern Italian flag which was adopted in 1946. 

Two comments on the German units.  First, although the parteiflag is probably better looking from a design standpoint (swastika in a white roundel on a plain red field), none of the German units in North Africa were SS so I would be more inclined to use the reichskriegflag (large crossed black and white stripes, white roundel with swastika where the cross lines intersect, and small iron cross in the upper left quadrant.  But if you feel you must go with the parteiflag (I think they used both), I wouldn't shift the swastika roundel off-center to the right as you have done -- it should be centered on the field (which also makes it a bit more palatable for some since the symbol would be a tad less prominent if it were placed in the historically correct position). 

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Profile Search
24 NOV 2012 at 12:18pm

skoop

Centurion
Centurion

Can you edit saved games? I'wondering if this would make a great operational campaign tool for combat mission Italy battles.  On a side note have you though of approaching battlefront with an idea about developing an operational campaign game for CM?

Is it possible for the game system to import export data to possibly use for miniatures as well as CM?

Profile Search
26 NOV 2012 at 9:45am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By skoop (24 NOV 2012 12:18pm)

Can you edit saved games? I'wondering if this would make a great operational campaign tool for combat mission Italy battles.  On a side note have you though of approaching battlefront with an idea about developing an operational campaign game for CM?

Is it possible for the game system to import export data to possibly use for miniatures as well as CM?

I think editing saved games would be a Cheaters Charter!!

Actually, during my CMBB obsession, I was thinking about something like that, with each hex having a set of quick battle terrain stats, and any battle above 1:3 or higher would be a quick battle, and any previous battle casualties being set in the CM qucik battle setup etc, but didn't do much beyond thinking about it.

If anyone started trying to import the actual files that CM uses though, the complexity would spiral and it'd probably end up like the previous attempt to make a CM campaign game (i.e. canned).

The minitures thing is interesting though...I see what you mean about editing saved games in that case...I suppose it could import/export data an excel spreadsheet etc...

...but one thing at a time!!

Profile Search
26 NOV 2012 at 9:52am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Very nice counters, bcgames!!

I've finished coding the artillery and am fixing the previous improvements you suggested so should have a version with a regiment scenario of First Alamein by next week.

Profile Search
26 NOV 2012 at 1:27pm

Marechal

Hoplite
Hoplite

Originally Posted By Philippe (24 NOV 2012 9:22am)

Very nice units.  Preferences differ, but I think I would prefer to see the actual flag of the Kingdom of Italy behind the Italian units rather than the modern Italian flag which was adopted in 1946. 

Two comments on the German units.  First, although the parteiflag is probably better looking from a design standpoint (swastika in a white roundel on a plain red field), none of the German units in North Africa were SS so I would be more inclined to use the reichskriegflag (large crossed black and white stripes, white roundel with swastika where the cross lines intersect, and small iron cross in the upper left quadrant.  But if you feel you must go with the parteiflag (I think they used both), I wouldn't shift the swastika roundel off-center to the right as you have done -- it should be centered on the field (which also makes it a bit more palatable for some since the symbol would be a tad less prominent if it were placed in the historically correct position). 

Oh....brother!

I could give a devil about Wellington, Napoleon scares the sh*t out of me. Period!-Murat 1809

Profile Search
27 NOV 2012 at 5:22pm

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Please do!

Profile Search
28 NOV 2012 at 9:26am

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

That map overlay is a very good idea. Ermmm...will have to think about how to do that...mmm...

The different coloured text is trival and easily done.

Profile Search
13 DEC 2012 at 4:48pm

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Hi, updated it with a lot of your suggestions and with your graphics! cheers, bcgames!

Funnily enough the adding a new unit under currently selected one in the Editor turned out to be quite difficult so I didn't do it yet.

I need to do a Scenario Briefing too.

But first, I'm going to do a proper Regiment scale scenario.

If you're doing one, please sent it too as I'm updating the Computer player, thanks!

If you've any suggestions, please tell me...

Game Changes

• Artillery Added. Select Artillery with 'A' key or left-click/CTRL
  • Hexes in range will be displayed. Unselect with 'A' key or clicking on map. Artillery target selected as with Air Power.
  • Regiments added. Regiments will show 'III' on their counter UNLESS there is a digit after a comma in the name. (i.e. if a Unit's Name is "15 Panzer, 105 Regiement", then "105" will be written on the counter instead of "III"). NOTE!! The Regiment number is taken from the Unit's "Name", NOT from the "Counter Name"
  • Can move map using Arrow Keys
  • New Tab on right that lists HotKeys
  • Button to turn on/off sound
  • 'I' Key will turn off Map overlays (i.e. symbols for attack/artillery etc)
  • Graphical Unit Icons/Pictures icon added to top menu bar
  • Some spelling errors corrected
  • Exceptions should be output to a file in the game directory called "Error.txt"

Scenario Editor

• In Army Unit Data Tab, Can change the Colour of the Text on the unit counter
  • In Army Unit Data Tab, Can select Solid or Gradient for counter painting
  • In Army Unit Data Tab, Artillery type units and Artillery range value
  • In Army Unit Data Tab, Regiment size units available
  • In Map Tab, Can import a map that will be overlayed on the map area
  • This can use used as a guide to creating a map
  • In Map Tab, Transparency of the Overlay Map can be changed via a slider

Profile Search

14 DEC 2012 at 2:27pm

bcgames

Centurion
Centurion

Saint Ruth,

What is the distance represented by each hex in the El Alamein scenario?

Profile Search
14 DEC 2012 at 5:58pm

Saint Ruth

Centurion
Centurion

Funny you should ask that as I was just wondering what the scale should be for a Regiment game...2 miles a hex?

Also, just to say, the map overlay isn't perfect, it moves a bit when you change zoom, move map. It's just a guide.

It's okay for the moment just to get some scenarios. I'll fix it later.

When I get it working, you could then having the choice of playing a game on an imported map...which would be...er...neat.

Profile Search
14 DEC 2012 at 6:23pm

bcgames

Centurion
Centurion

Originally Posted By Saint Ruth (14 DEC 2012 5:58pm)

Funny you should ask that as I was just wondering what the scale should be for a Regiment game...2 miles a hex?

That's about right.  Figure 250-500 meters/yards per company x2 (two companies up, one back for a battalion) = 500-1000 meters/yards front per battalion.  With two battalions up and one back you get 1000-2000 meters of front for a regiment.  Your stacking limit is currently two units (I think), so two regiments with four battalions up and two back in reserve would be a frontage of 2000-4000 meters...or  1.25 to 2.5 miles.

Also, just to say, the map overlay isn't perfect, it moves a bit when you change zoom, move map. It's just a guide.

It's okay for the moment just to get some scenarios. I'll fix it later.

O.K. Thanks for the tip.  I'll keep that it mind.

When I get it working, you could then having the choice of playing a game on an imported map...which would be...er...neat.

THAT would be sweet!

Last edited by bcgames : 14 DEC 2012 6:25pm
Profile Search
14 DEC 2012 at 9:41pm

bcgames

Centurion
Centurion

Looking at the map editor, there may be some efficiencies to be had.  It appears to me that the number of hex types and man-made features could be increased by making the the "hex center" and "hex side" tool selections more efficient through consolidation (see below).

If we think of  "hex centers" and "hex sides" as lines/line segments instead of types of terrain (Highways vs trails; gullies vs rivers vs ridges) then it is possible to free up 29 terrain buttons by consolidating line/line segment types.  Add some radio buttons to allow the user to define highways, trails, gullies, rivers, ridges--selection of these buttons determines the attributes of the lines /line segments that are assigned to a hex--by a single set of lines/segments...noy two for the hex centers or the three for the hexsides.  Use the terrain "slots" freed up by this consolidation to add new terrain types and/or additional man-made features.

Profile Search

Page 1 of 13 :

Jump to:
14 Members Subscribed To This Topic